Tuesday, September 9, 2014

FOOD


Ever feel like you just can't get enough food in your body? I sure do.  Like Katniss said in Hunger Games, every one has a hollow day. You know, a bottomless pit.   But my problem isn't due to starving at the moment.  Although, I am hungry ALL the time.  Not sure if it's medical or emotional or probably both.  

When I was young, I went long periods of time without food.  My brother and I were often left at home as young teens without food in the cupboards or in the fridge.  There were times when we resorted to eating the cat food.  Thankfully, we both had friends with caring families that took us in.  Will I ever get over the feeling that I have to eat and finish whatever is in the house?  Especially if it's sweets, which we NEVER had around in our house.  There is something engraved in my brain that tells me I won't see it again for a long time and to eat it all NOW.  Even if I've eaten so much that I feel incredibly uncomfortable and couldn't possibly fit one more bite in.  Once some of it digests and I have room, I'll go back to finish whatever it was.  It's like I have no control over it.


I've done some research about feeling hungry all the time.  There are two hormones involved:  Leptin and ghrelin.  Leptin is supposed to decrease your appetite and ghrelin increases appetite.  "Many obese people have built up a resistance to the appetite-suppressing effects of leptin," says obesity expert Mary Dallman, PhD, from University of California at San Francisco (WebMD). In turn, this hormone does not release the signal that tells your body you're full.  Working along with the other hormone, ghrelin, can send mixed signals if you're not eating the right types of food. Dieticians recommend eating complex carbs, eat protein, and eat higher volumes of low calorie foods such as salads and vegetables (Jillian Michaels).

Not intending this to be of any serious medical advice, I will move on.  Eating is a great way to feel comfort in my life for whatever ails me.  Food for me can act as a pain killer, anxiety medication, anti-depressant, and a cure for loneliness.  All in all it fills that empty hole I have in my heart.  Should I being filling that emptiness with other things?  Why, yes!  Am I learning new behaviors to meet these needs?  Yep!  Will it take some time to change my habits?  You better believe it.  For whatever reasons I've learned to emotionally eat, it will take patience to make positive changes.  

Some days are better than others.  Some days I'm able to make a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner; go on walks with the dogs; take long baths; make some piece of art; listen to music;  or read a favorite book.  But other days, like today, my mind yells pizza and cookies quite loudly so that I can't hear the positive ways out.  Tomorrow is a new day with a fresh start again.  Time to get back up, dust myself off, and be good to myself.  Good night!


Your Hunger Hormones; How they affect your appetite and your weight by , http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/your-hunger-hormones

5 Ways to Calm Hunger Pangshttp://www.jillianmichaels.com/fit/lose-weight/5-ways-to-calm-hunger-pangs

No comments:

Post a Comment